Pilgrims Rest Cemetery
Immanuel Lutheran Congregation owns and operates Pilgrims Rest Cemetery, located about two miles North of the City. Deed for the first property, consisting of 3 1/4 acres was filed November 18, 1972. In 1918 the Cemetery was enlarged by the addition of 5.96 arces, and in July, 1946 the congregation voted to accept the offer of The Blue Earth County Commissioners regarding the purchase of the County Cemetery which joined our cemetery on the West side. Pilgrims Rest now includes about 11 acres.
In 1928, W.A. Weber the serving as secretary-treasurer reorganized the cemetery. He supervised landscaping of the cemetery by having shrubbery placed along the roadway and evergreen trees throughout the platted areas.
Since 1935 Robert Schweim has been serving as secretary-treasurer. In 1945 an advisory committee was appointed to assist in planning uniform regulations in regard to placing monuments and markers, and also, plans for a more sound financial structure for the future building up of cemetery funds. H.P. Dubke, Fred Gosewisch, Chas. O. Steiner, Herman Schweim, Harold L. Pischner, Oscar Weight, E.A. Silber, Gustav Krahnke and Harry Oehler, are the members of this committee. At the present time plans are going forward that will make Pilgrims Rest a more beautiful memorial burial park. These plans include a new front fence, ornamental entrance and gate, landscaping, grading, water system, and other general improvements. At the present time the cemetery funds total about $17,000.00 of which about $5,000.00 is reserved for the general improvements mentioned.