- Hezekiah began reigning at 25 years old
- Hezekiah ruled in Judah for 29 years
2 Kings 18:3-8 – God evaluation of Hezekiah as king
- What contrasts exist between Hezekiah and the pattern we’ve seen in the other kings…even the "good" kings?
- What does the history of the bronze snake tell us about sinful nature?
- Samaria fell in Hezekiah’s 6th year
- Sennacherib comes against Jerusalem/Judah in Hezekiah’s 14th year (same year as Hezekiah’s illness)
God’s Reformation through Hezekiah
- 2 Chronicles 29:3-11, 17-21, 28-34, 36
- 2 Chronicles 30:1-17, 22-27
- 2 Chronicles 31:1-10,20-21
- What is the first thing we can notice about Hezekiah’s reform efforts?
- What was the basis for Hezekiah’s reform?
- What are the notable differences between Hezekiah’s efforts and those of earlier kings?
- What shows that unbelief had been the rule in Judah for a very long time?
- What shows the power of the Gospel?
Review 1 Kings 8:48-50…and smile with the joy of knowing the LORD!
Hezekiah & Sennacherib
- 2 Kings 18:7, 13-16 – beginnings
- 2 Chronicles 32:1-8 – the assault and preparations
- 2 Kings 18:17-37 – The Assyrian mockery
- 2 Kings 19:1-19 – The LORD’s response
- What was Hezekiah’s first reaction in trouble?
- What word of the Lord did Isaiah bring to Hezekiah and the people of Judah?
- What was Hezekiah’s approach to his problem?
- 2 Kings 19:22-23, 32-34 – God’s Word to Sennacherib
- 2 Kings 19:35-37 – Sennacherib’s end
"The Destruction of Sennacherib"
George Gordon, Lord Byron
1. The Assyrian came down like the wolf on the fold,
2. Like the leaves of the forest when Summer is green,
3. For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
[2 intervening verses]
6. And the widows of Ashur are loud in their wail
- 2 Kings 20:1-11 – Hezekiah’s life graciously extended
- 2 Chronicles 32:24-26 – the king’s weakness and promise from God